Plasmetic.com forums  

Go Back   Plasmetic.com forums > Facial Plastic Surgery > Cosmetic Dentistry
Forums Home Photo Gallery FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
carreon
Just browsing

Default Dentistry in Mexico?

I'm considering going to the American BioDental clinic in TJ for amalgam filling replacement and cavitation work. Does anyone have any experience with this clinic or other dental clinics in Mexico?
carreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
TXCINDA

Carreon,

I'm just curious as to why you are considering this treatment in Mexico as opposed to the US. My husband is a dentist and I am a dental hygienist. I don't know the standards for a Mexican dental practice but I do know what they are in the US. Any chance you would change your mind and have it done in the US?

TXCINDA
TXCINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
TXCINDA

I just found this link about the revocation of the license for the DDS at the American Biodental clinic. It looks like he lost his license in the US and then moved on to Mexico. BE CAREFUL!

http://www.quackwatch.org/search/web...ry=hal+huggins

On May 1, 1996, Hal Huggins' license to practice dentistry was revoked in Case Number DE 95-04. The Final Agency Order and Initial Decision in Case Number DE 95-04 is incorporated as though fully set forth herein. The Administrative Law Judge (“ALJ"), identified numerous violations of the Dental Practice Law of Colorado, including instances of substandard care, performing treatment and tests without clinical justification, and practicing outside the scope of dentistry
TXCINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
carreon
Just browsing

Yeah, QuackWatch also say that acupuncture is bogus, so that guy doesn't really have all the answers.

And the FDA and ADA doesn't really have such a spotless record on keeping our best interests at heart. So to some degree I don't consider those organizations a 100% trustworthy source either.

But, after doing more research on American BioDental, I've decided to investigate other clinics as well. The reason I am looking into Mexican dentist is that my dentist estimates the work needing to be done at $12,000. (yikes!) There are apparently some excellent dentists on Mexico who can do the same quality work for much less.

Really, my reason for looking into Mexican dental clinics is exactly the same as why many on this board went to Mexico for their medical procedures. Of course, I will be research this thoroughly and will have to be able to achieve a certain level of confidence before I'll commit to crossing the border for dental work... this is just the first step.

Heck, at least I'm not considering a British dentist!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
calqt23
Just browsing

Carreon -

Maybe you can get a recommendation from the Versalles Clinic. Did you have any work done there?
calqt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
carreon
Just browsing

Hi Calqt23,

That would be a great idea, but I had my work done here in Texas. Hearing all the good things about the VC clinic encourages me to consider a Mexican dental clinic. The two dentist I am trying to find out more about now are Juan Carlos Hernandez and Carolina LopezLena Nichols.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
calqt23
Just browsing

Please let me know what you find out. I am considering the same thing. When I was a the VC I kept seeing dentist offices and I remember seeing a guy on the local news who had gone to mexico because the prices here are crazy.
calqt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
carreon
Just browsing

qt,

I'll let you know what I find out!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
spy9doc

Carreron: Below is what one woman (a TJ vet) posted on PSJ:

-----------------------------------------------------

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:07 pm
Post subject: Dr. Torres Dental Report Card
-----------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone! I had my dental work with Dr. Torres @ Pacific Dental Monday of last week, 11/12, and wanted to share my experience.

I walked the across the border and caught a $4 cab to Pacific Dental. The office was not impressive and very basic. It is on the 2nd floor, no elevator, so if postop..beware! My cabbie dropped me off and didn't bother to inquire about helping me upstairs with my bags..so I drug them up myself. Right across the hall is their own dental lab where I saw lots of technicians working at microscopes and grinders..making veneers and crowns I assumed.

Once inside the dental office, I was quickly greeted in English my a sweet girl and when I gave my name, she said "we are glad you are here." Nice. I immediately was taken back and sat in a dental chair, with a view of the street. The office was pretty basic inside as well, but they do use all kinds of modern equipment (digital xrays, blue light to immediately set the cavities/crowns, etc).

Dr. Torres was handsome and younger than I expected, probably late 20's-early 30's. He was very friendly, professional, and I greatly valued his conservative approach - that is...to err on the side of minimalism vs. gung-ho with more extensive/costly procedures. I thought my 2 cracked teeth were going to require crowns, but was happily surprised to learn he thought bonding was a better option. He also replaced one cavity, did a deep lower gum cleaning, regular cleaning on the top, and enamel contouring (to even out my ridges and in lieu of veneers which I thought I needed to have that
perfect smile). They did it all right then in 90min so I wouldn't have to return during my week in TJ and could focus on my Cosmed healing.

I got all this work for $486 (after my 10% cash discount)...this was less than half of what one crown was gonna cost at my dentist. They also emailed me the xrays within 24hrs, so I'd have them once a returned to my regular dentist! Dr. Torres/Pacific Dental Report Card = A+

PACIFIC DENTAL
Dr. Oscar Torres / Dr Lutz and Staff
1866 804 1877 // (619) 739 41 10

www.sdro.com/pacdental
spy9doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
spy9doc

Just some information on yet another Tijuana dentist.

Yesterday, I rode on the BW shuttle into TJ with a man from Phoenix who was going to see Dr. Erich Wolley for dental care. (This was not his first visit with Dr. Wolley) He told me that Dr. Wolley is a wholistic dentist and that he has been extremely happy with his work.

If you do a Google search, you will find information about Dr. Wolley, as well as a testimonial page. I believe this is his website:

http://www.tijuana-net.com/wolley/index.html

If any of you do go to Dr. Wolley, please post your experiences here as I am seeking good dental care in TJ as well.
spy9doc is offline   Reply With Quote