Plasmetic.com forums  

Go Back   Plasmetic.com forums > Plastic Surgery > Liposuction
Forums Home Photo Gallery FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
jennianne22

My Mood:
Unhappy "Re-do" or touch ups with smartlipo?

Has anyone that has had smartlipo needed touch ups or to get more of a result? I have had good results but not what I expected. My doctor is going to re-do it at no charge but is this pretty normal??
jennianne22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Ladydi

My Mood:

Touch ups are very common.
Ladydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
chopsuey7

My Mood:

I had a touch up of my thighs. It made an improvement, especially in the inner thigh area.
chopsuey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
mapleblondie

Are touch-ups normally included in the price of the original surgery? I have heard that patients normally have to pay for facility and drug fees though...Does that seem right?
mapleblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
docblinski

I will express my EXPERT OPINION (since I'm one of the NATIONAL SMART LIPO INSTRUCTORS and I have personally done over 1200 cases - 200 with the 30 watt MPX unit)
Nationally the Smart lipo touch up rate approaches 10%, this is due to a combination of factors. Or multifactorial, from the docs inexperience, too small of a watt unit - like the 6 or 10 watt units, patient with unrealistic expectations, too much expected skin to be retracted, or any combination of those. In my practice my stats are 4% redo rate.
As for additional fees, this is acceptable because there is a cost in supplies, the fiber, the equipment. Most docs charge a small fee from $500 to $800. So do expect a redo fee.
I hope that clears things up. Regards Dr. B
docblinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
ks7997

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docblinski View Post
I will express my EXPERT OPINION (since I'm one of the NATIONAL SMART LIPO INSTRUCTORS and I have personally done over 1200 cases - 200 with the 30 watt MPX unit)
Nationally the Smart lipo touch up rate approaches 10%, this is due to a combination of factors. Or multifactorial, from the docs inexperience, too small of a watt unit - like the 6 or 10 watt units, patient with unrealistic expectations, too much expected skin to be retracted, or any combination of those. In my practice my stats are 4% redo rate.
As for additional fees, this is acceptable because there is a cost in supplies, the fiber, the equipment. Most docs charge a small fee from $500 to $800. So do expect a redo fee.
I hope that clears things up. Regards Dr. B
Thank you very much for your respons to this. It is always good to hear from the doctors in my opinion.
ks7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
BillEckert
Just browsing

My Mood:

Doc I do have a question though. In my case the physician wanted to charge for touchups. The issue was not that it was not done to a satisfactory level, but the left and right side were clearly done differently and did not look alike at all....and on one side much too much fat was taken out (this was a physician opinion). Personally, I don't think physicians should charge anything if it is clearly a case of carelessness and/or inexperience. In my case even after touchups it looks horrible. Thanks as always for giving me your thoughts, we appreciate you on this forum and wish I would have gone to you!
BillEckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
docblinski

Hard to agree, THERE are ALWAYS supplies, the FIBER ($500 or more), etc COSTS. How would you feel if the doc refused to do the touch up and just said that is it? Not to good, so good docs would/will only charge for expenses. That is fair no matter your issues as to the re touch reasons. This is just a doc's opinion Dr. B
docblinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
vwbug

My Mood:

Bill,
I'm with you on this one. (sorry doc. I am not an EXPERT). But I am sure in my business if I did not fix your car right... you would not expect to pay for my labor, or parts to fix it right. The normal request is a credit for money spent to fix things wrong, and pay to have things done right. So, perhaps your Doctor should give you back the money for the uneven procedure, and charge you for the properly done procedure? It is not the patients fault that the original work was not done correctly. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
catwoman

My Mood:

Whether you are charged for "redos" or not, is really the policy of the surgeon's practice, isn't it? I have experienced both policies of absolutely no charges for a touch up, and then charged just for the O/R fees from another doctor's touch up. This is a question that all should ask upfront during the initial consult. I would also like to add that the 2-4% national revision rate is somewhat skewed. I believe the rate would be more like 40-50% if everyone who was unhappy with the results would be willing and able to have a second round.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote