Plasmetic.com forums  

Go Back   Plasmetic.com forums > Plastic Surgery > Liposuction
Forums Home Photo Gallery FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #391
docblinski

Default Re: My SmartLipo at Strax Rejuvenation, Florida !

The reason I'm responding in this open forum is to show, teach, and explain to others viewing this thread and the plastic surgeons and plastic surgery residents how to try and help a patient, like you, in this economy.
First, it concerns me, as others reading here, you have changed the playing field in a few areas. Initially you stated on having Smart Lipo only in 2 areas (the flanks and inner thighs) now you just added the upper and lower abdomen. That now becomes 4 areas.
Second the initial Straxx price was $3375, now it is $4000, with those additional areas. With additional areas comes more surgery time and costs.
Third was Dr. Stratt's quote was "double". Even assuming I double Straxx's initial stated quote of $3375 to $6750, it is still not $6000 as you now write. Plus getting a 15% discount on the $6000 ='s $5100.
VERY CONFUSING!!!! How are you able to not mix things up? I'm scratching my head as I'm sure other readers are also.
Finally, the reason Dr Stratt takes SO LONG in his operations is a very simple answer. He ONLY uses local injections. So to not overdose the patient on lidocaine, as happened 4 months ago in a Medspa in Ft. Lauderdale, causing seizures leading to death. He is being VERY safe and taking his time. I appreciate his concerns for the safety of his patients. We, the plastic surgeons, can use deep sedation or face mask gases + local to do these operations in less time, delivering more energy in the Smart Lipo part of the operation.
All in all, you are trying to skin the fees so tightly that it make cost you in the end, by needing revisions.

Now, for other readers, the patient desires Smart Lipo of the complete abdomen, flanks and inner thighs. In my office the fee quote would be $1800 opening fees + $1000 per area x 4 areas = $4000. Total quote $5800. Assuming a written quote from Straxx of $4000, I could match it, the discount is over 31% of the $5800. It is very tight but it could be done. Again any PLASTIC SURGEON would need this quote in writing on the letter head or something factual. But my feeling from all your changing of the quotes is you do not have a written quote. I really hope you do, but we all here await the next scenario you will be writing.

Again THANK YOU for these questions and discussions. I find this a very helpful tool for all of us. Dr. B

PS: I find the medication you are taking should not interfere with the operation but it is best to stop it just to be safe.
docblinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #392
hmmm

I went with Dr. Stratt and I am very happy with my results.
hmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #393
camillerx

My Mood:

Doc I dont think you read all my posts carefully so let me clarify since Im kind of offended being a medical professional myself. By the way I have written quotes from every place I went to. I first went to south florida center and saw dr Timothy alexander they had a special online for up to 49% off any procedure. That promotion supposedly ended on 2/5 and i have until wednesday to lock it in with a deposit.that quote was 3750 with promotion and the would only let me do inner thighs and flanks for that price and the quote included everything garment ,blood work, and anesthesia ( alexander did not want to do it locally).
I want the front of my abs done and I didnt feel like dr alexander and i hit it off so I went to straxx two days later . they have a promotion for 3499 for smartlipo , I called them up and asked them if that depended on how many areas they said no just up to 4 liters anywhere. I saw dr bivens there he agreed on what I wanted for the most part but he was really hesistant about how much he could change my thighs. When I went to discuss pricing they added on another 500 for anesthesia totalling aprrox $4000. I then mentioned the other centers quote and the person who does the pricing said they match quotes I said I dont have it on me right now she said they would take my wordfor it . She called in a gentleman she said was the owner and he slashed the prices on my quote paper she had just given to me and wrote that the beat anywhere by 10% and they calculated the 10% off the 3750 from south florida center and wrote $3375 and he signed it. She asked me if I wanted to lock it in I told her I had two other consults and I would call in the week she asked me about dr bivens I expressed my concerns and she said to see dr. gordon so I made an appt with him for monday. I then left there and went to Body Care and saw dr stratt . His quote for the upper,lower, and flanks , and compression garment totalled 4150 if i wanted my outer and inner thighs done they were 1000 per body part- $6150 total for what straxx basically said they would do for $3375 which is pretty close to almost double. I dont consider dr stratt or the other center unreasonable in their pricing as im sure i wouldnt consider your pricing unreasonable . I am just going with what I can afford and my comfort level with the surgeon. If i went to straxx and I felt any kind of apprehension I would not be considering them.As I said I have an appointment with my former cosmetic surgeon dr russel palmer on monday and also a revisit to straxx for a consult with dr roger gordon. Hope this is clearer for people to understand and i am not advertising for any center or doctor all of them seem capable.
camillerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #394
camillerx

My Mood:

oh what did you have done and how long ago?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #395
hmmm

According to them, I had upper and lower abs and flanks. I wasn't exactly sure what the flanks meant, but I showed them what I wanted and that's what they wrote. If you ask me, I would say that I had my belly, waist, and hips done. I am very happy with what he did.

I had gone to the Alexander doctor for a consult. I was not happy with the amount of time he spent with me, or should I say the 7 minutes he spared me. I went to another center that you didn't mention. I went to Stratt for the consult the same day as I did Alexander, and yes, he was more expensive, but I decided to go with him anyways. I felt the most comfortable with him. I liked his pictures the best too.
hmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #396
docblinski

Thank you for the opportunity of allowing my input to the ways of patient relations in this open forum. You being a medical professional must realize the lay patient can always gain from these forums some insight as to what and what not to do/expect. I appreciate your plan of trying to get your surgery on the cheap, but there is a cost to doing surgery we, as the surgeons, must bare. When the costs approach the fee than we must determine if we wish to operate just to operate. Best of Luck
Old 02-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #397
camillerx

My Mood:

My impression Dr. Blinski- and you can certainly correct me if I am wrong here- is just like any other business the small business man ( the private practice plastic surgeon) might end up charging a little more to cover his base costs because he may not have the same advantages as the big business man ( Large cosmetic surgery center that employs several surgeons). In the end though word of mouth and reputation helps to keep you guys in business. I think most would agree that liposuction/liposculpture in their mind is a little less serious than breast augmentation, rhinoplasty, facelift..etc . when I was getting my breasts and nose done I was definitely not looking to be cheap with those areas as I spent almost 10,000 total when I did those and I probably would not have considered Straxx or South Florida Center then
Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #398
docblinski

WOW! I TOTALLY disagree with your position. First the Laser lipolysis, ie Smart Lipo, is very difficult to master the techniques. The BAD results I see each month from these other "big businesses" solidifies that Smart Lipo's learning curve is double that of an augmentation. But you are correct in thinking it is easier to preform than a rhinoplasty or facelift. And unfortunately a bad Smart lipo result in 85% of the cases can not be corrected. Versus the bad augmentation or nose job can be corrected with additional surgery. I speak from over 30 years experience.
As for the big business vs the private practice one, we both pay the SAME fees for the equipment, nurses, drugs, anesthesia. The only differences are the big guys use advertising and pressure marketing to "round you guys up" offering very discounted prices. Thusly paying the surgeon less than 20% of collected fee. So in your cases the fee was $4000, what is approx. paid to the doctor is $800. That why the cosmetic surgery mill or garage shop terms are now in our language.
I'm sure you can understand the concept. But it is at your own decision or risk to use the cheap way out. You have mentioned 2 reputable doctors at slightly higher fees, you need to compare like for like. As Indiana Jones was told by the third Crusader in the film the "Last Crusade, chose wisely".
Smart Lipo is not a walk in the park, it is a serious high learning curve procedure.
Thanks for all you openness. Best of Luck in your decision and future surgery.
PS I want you to know I'm using these postings in my monthly conference with the plastic surgery residents in patient/practice management. Thanks again.
Dr. B
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #399
ninon

I did my resarch in lipo in south florida for about a year. and i choose Dr. Rodger Stratt because he made me feel comfortable and he was the only one that advised me to do the procedure in two parts since it was too much fat to be removed. The other places i visited never mentioned that . I am so sastified with the procedure done.
ninon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #400
OLIK

Hello Doc,
I had SmartLipo 6 weeks ago (knee)
Still have pain, sweel...

Please help,

Thanks,
Olik
OLIK is offline   Reply With Quote